Monday, May 11, 2009

Donald Duck

My sister is taking creative writing during a continuing education course.
She has written a story about "Donald Duck's Last Vacation". When we traveled cross country to visit my uncle and pick up his sister, my aunt, who was returning from a stint with the Armed Forces Education program. She taught school to Army and Navy dependents in Germany and Japan after WWII. We still have the slides to prove it!.
I had a rubber Donald Duck figure that I dearly loved, I think it was one of the ones made in Italy for the Disney company. My attachment to Donald Duck waned over the years, until he basically fell apart in my hands, only to be relegated to a storage container. My other sister found a picture of Donald and I from the pictures she got from my parents' house.
Rummaging through some boxes I had brought home when we closed up my parents' house several years ago, I came across the crumbling remnants of Donald. He was actually unrecognizable. The smell was still the same. Along with the colors, faded by the years. Memories came gushing over me as I took one last look at Donald. I think he got put back into the same box, if not I will still remember him as my first real toy.
Linus had his blanket, I my Donald.

No comments: